Thursday, April 21, 2016
Setup Your Business’s Intranet Through SharePoint
Did you know that with SharePoint, you have all the tools you need to set up your own fully-functional Intranet? This is a fantastic feature for department collaboration, workflows, and file sharing. The best part is that you can do it all without writing one single line of code. In this article, we’ll tell you how.
Intranet at a Glance
Simply put, an Intranet is a private network meant for the exclusive use of your business and employees. It’s protected by unauthorized access and is ideal for collaboration and communication between individuals and work groups. Intranets can also connect with outside or external sources to join business together.
Setting Up Intranet Via SharePoint
While SharePoint was originally established as a system to manage documents, Intranet capabilities were quickly added. When you’re ready to launch your business’s Intranet, we recommend you do it in stages, with the first stage being devoted to rolling out just the bare bones. You’ll be able to add additional features as you go along. Here’s how you do it:
- Make sure you have Global Administrator privileges. If you do, proceed directly to Step 3. If you don’t have proper privileges, do the following:
- From the Microsoft Online Portal, select “Manage” under SharePoint Online
- Select “Manage Site Collections” on the Administration Center so that the dashboard will be displayed
- Under the Site Collections menu, click “New” and then select “Private Site Collection”
- In the dialog box, enter the title and address (URL) of your Intranet site
- Under “Select a Template,” click the “Publishing” tab and then select “Publishing Portal”
- Provide the time zone, your name, and the usage limit
- Now that you have the proper rights, select “Manage” under SharePoint Online again
- Select “Manage Site Collections” from the “Administration Center” page
- Choose your site from the list
- Click “Settings” and then click “Set as Default Site”
It literally is that easy.
C3IT Can Help You Reap Full Benefits of SharePoint
As you can tell, we’re big fans of SharePoint. It’s such a valuable and powerful resource for small and large businesses alike. We’d be more than happy to help you realize all that SharePoint has to offer for your business. Just give us a call here at C3IT
at 800-728-1411 today!